SHREWSBURY TOWN COUNCIL
To Members of the Planning Committee
Councillors: N Green (Chairman), R Dartnall, M Davies, K Halliday, C Lemon, P Moseley, D Vasmer and B Wall
Cc All other members of the Council for information
You are hereby summoned to attend the meeting of the Town Council’s Planning Committee scheduled to take place on Tuesday 31 January 2023 at 6.00pm at Council Chamber, Shirehall in order to transact the following business.
Meeting Agenda Items
1APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
2DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CODE OF CONDUCT
3MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 10 January 2023.
5PROPOSED CHANGES TO NATIONAL PLANNING POLICIES
To update members on proposed changes to the National Planning Policy Framework
6PLANNING INSPECTOR ENQUIRY - 22/03369/OUT - PROPOSED CARE COMMUNITY, HENCOTE
To receive an update into the planning inspectors appeal of the above application. Members should note the discussion that took place at Full Council on 23 January in which the following resolution was carried:
1) Councillors and people of Shrewsbury will be shocked to hear that Shropshire Council is intending to offer no evidence at the Inquiry into the Appeal against the refusal of planning permission for the development of an up-market care home at the Hencote site which starts on Tuesday. This only became apparent towards the end of last week, giving no time for objectors to consider this new information.
2) This is due to the appellant offering a last-minute offer of £1.3m towards affordable housing.
3) This sum has been accepted by Shropshire Council as sufficient to outweigh the original reasons for refusal. Not only is the sum offered derisory – normally three to five times that amount would be offered – but in no way does it recompense residents and visitors for the irrevocable harm to a striking and highly visible part of Shrewsbury’s landscape.
4) Moreover, the threat to nearby ecology cannot be fully computed, particularly as the damage from runoff from the site would only become apparent during and after construction.
5) Furthermore, previous planning applications on the site have highlighted the problematic highways concerns regarding additional traffic.
6) The argument put forward by the developer, that this development would help Shrewsbury increase care spaces, is disingenuous. In practice this development would attract wealthy retirees from across the country. It would only add to the growing pressures upon our hard-pressed hospitals which already have to deal with the consequences of a higher than average number of older people.
This Council Resolves:
1) To deplore Shropshire Council’s response to the developer’s offer and to fight this proposed development by all legal means.
2) To call on the Planning Inspector to adjourn the Inquiry into the development at Hencote until objectors have had the opportunity to consider the developer’s latest offer.
3) To reconsider the Town Council’s approach to dealing with future planning appeals
Members are requested to consider:
1) Any actions in relation to the above enquiry
2) The Planning Committee policy in relation to future planning appeals at which both the Town Council and the Planning Authority have opposed and whether the Town Council should seek third party status in any future planning appeal.
7PRE PLANNING CONSULTATIONS - SHORNCLIFFE DRIVE & COLEHAM HEAD
Proposed radio base station installations
To consider any Highways Orders received from Shropshire Council prior to the meeting.
9TREE PRESERVATION ORDERS
To consider any Tree Preservation Orders received from Shropshire Council prior to the meeting.
10PREMISES LICENCE APPLICATIONS
To consider any Premises Licence Applications received from Shropshire Council prior to the meeting
11.1 To consider submitting comments and/or objections on the following applications for planning consent contained in the following schedules: List of valid applications registered between 4 January 2023 – 20 January 2023.
11.2 Schedule of Planning Decisions: To receive details of any decisions made by
Shropshire Council which conflict with Shrewsbury Town Council’s comments taken between 4 January 2023 – 20 January 2023.