Abbey Gardens, Shrewsbury
Abbey Gardens, Abbey Foregate
Referred to as a pocket park, Abbey Gardens can be found adjacent to the River Severn by the English Bridge.
Tucked away between Shrewsbury Sixth Form College (formerly The Wakeman School) and the river, it’s easy to miss this tranquil park with mature trees and shrubs, benches and paths.
There are unusual stone fragments of buildings dotted around the gardens. John Carline (1730-1793), a local builder and architect of some renown in the Town, built a house alongside the river called Abbey House, which in turn became a Technical College from 1899. It was replaced by the current building in 1938. Carline used the gardens to deposit many items of stonework from building work he had been involved in. Many of them are from old Shrewsbury buildings which no longer exist, and their origins are unknown in some cases.
Abbey Gardens comprises of mown grass, trees, shrubs, 10 x benches, 2 x picnic benches & 5 x bins.