Recreation & Leisure Committee
SHREWSBURY TOWN COUNCIL
7 St Johns Hill
To Members of the Recreation & Leisure Committee
Councillors Bernie Bentick, Phil Gillam, Chris Lemon, Kevin Pardy, Elisabeth Roberts, D Vasmer, Alex Wagner & Becky Wall
All other members of the Council for information
You are hereby summoned to attend the meeting of the Town Council’s Recreation & Leisure Committee scheduled to take place on Wednesday 10 May 2023 at 6.00pm at Shrewsbury Room, Shirehall in order to transact the following business.
Meeting Agenda Items
1APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive and accept apologies for absence
2DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
To receive Declarations of Pecuniary Interest in accordance with the Code of Conduct
3MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
To approve the minutes of the meting held on 15 March 2023.
4MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING
To consider any matters arising from previous meetings
To receive an update on the current status of the main Capital Programme.
To receive an update into the monitoring of footfall
To receive an update on the development of the Shrewsbury Town Fisheries
(i) To receive an update on the work of Team Shrewsbury and any operational impacts from crime & anti-social behaviour
(ii) To consider the Shropshire Council Consultation into the renewal and enhancement of the Shrewsbury Town Centre Public Space Protection Order Renewal of the Shrewsbury Town Centre Public Spaces Protection Order (No.1) 2017 | Shropshire Council
(iii) To consider the Home Office Consultation on the review of Community Safety Partnerships and ASB Powers
Community safety partnerships review and antisocial behaviour powers – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
(iv) Policing Charter – To receive an update on the Policing Priorities.
9SAFER STREETS 4 FUNDING
To receive an update on the Safer Streets 4 Funding Award and the Town Council’s involvement in delivering the project
To receive an update on the Quarry Events Programme for 2023
11SHREWSBURY IN BLOOM
(i) To receive an update on summer planting for 2023
(ii) To accept the notes of the Shrewsbury in Bloom Group Meeting held on 18 April 2023.
12RECREATION GROUND MATTERS
(i) Shorncliffe Recreation Ground – To update the Committee on recent discussions with Redkite in relation to aspirations for the area and support the feasibility of developing an ambitious vision – (Councillor Rob Wilson)
(ii) Fields In Trust – To consider the use of Fields In Trust to secure long-term use of open space – (Councillor Rob Wilson).
(i) To update the Committee on the long-term plan for play area improvements and upgrades
(ii) To confirm the play value criteria to be used in future tender submissions
To receive an update on Shropshire Council’s intended process for any Community Allotment requests on Shropshire Council land
To receive an update on outstanding developer discussions/negotiations:
- Copthorne Barracks Play and Open Space – offsite contributions to play (£30,498 – £20498 for Shorncliffe Drive & £10000 for Silks Meadow – to be paid on 75% occupancy) and open space (£115,000 for sports pitches & associated facilities at County Ground – paid on 50% occupancy) – funds in relation to landscaping at the County Ground have been drawn down
- Barratt Homes/Bovis Homes – Mytton Oak Road – Phase 1 adopted; Snagging Phase 2/3 commenced. No identified date for transfer. Developer has request early transfer but certain works need to be completed ahead of transfer
- Shrewsbury South Urban
- Sutton Grange site – ongoing – likely transfer in 2023/24 – recent meeting with Taylor Wimpey to discuss logistics for transfer
- Bellway Homes site – discussion on land adoption and adoption of acoustic fencing
- Galliers site – early discussions on land adoption
- Community Centre – location on the site
- Crowmoor House – s106 agreement for offsite play & open space contribution to be used for Upton Lane & Monkmoor Recreation Ground – two-staged payments on trigger on percentage occupied properties. Council to bankroll work at Upton Lane Rec – forms received for drawn of funding
- Harlescott Infants/Juniors site – Offsite contributions to sport. Approvals for use of the funds at Kynaston Road Recreation Ground for drainage works – form received for drawdown of funds
- Radbrook College site – Open space adoption – officers met with Floreat Homes on site – likely adoption once all phases are complete
- Weir Hill – Agreements to adopt the land at a future time have been signed –meeting with Taylor Wimpey looking at the possibility of the countryside land to be transferred ahead of the POS on the development site