Recreation & Leisure Committee
SHREWSBURY TOWN COUNCIL
To Members of the Recreation & Leisure Committee
Councillors Bernie Bentick, Phil Gillam, Chris Lemon, Kevin Pardy, Elisabeth Roberts, Alex Wagner, Becky Wall & Rob Wilson
All other members of the Council for information
You are hereby summoned to attend the meeting of the Town Council’s Recreation & Leisure Committee scheduled to take place on Wednesday 9 November 2022 at 6.00pm at Council Chamber, Shirehall in order to transact the following business.
Meeting Agenda Items
1APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive and accept apologies for absence
2DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
To receive Declarations of Pecuniary Interest in accordance with the Code of Conduct
3MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 7 September 2022.
4MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING
To consider any matters arising from previous meetings
(i) To consider the Fees & Charges for 2023/24;
(ii) To consider any items to be recommended to the Finance & General Purposes Committee for consideration of the 2023/24 budget
To receive an update on the current status of the main Capital Programme.
To receive an update into the monitoring of footfall.
To receive an update on the development of the Shrewsbury Town Fisheries
To receive an update on the work of Team Shrewsbury and any operational impacts from crime & anti-social behaviour
10SAFER STREETS 4 FUNDING
To receive an update on the Safer Streets 4 Funding Award and the Town Council’s involvement in delivering the project
To receive an update on the amended Policing Priorities
To receive an update on matters relating to River Safety
(i) To receive an update on Quarry Events Programme for 2022/3
(ii) To receive an update on the Ground Penetration Radar works to plot all underground utilities
14SHREWSBURY IN BLOOM
(i) To accept the notes of the Shrewsbury In Bloom Group Meeting held on 27th September 2022.
(ii) To provide an update on the Shrewsbury In Bloom Judging results.
(i) To receive an update on the Community Allotment at the Grange Community Centre.
(ii) To identify any areas of land to be submitted to the Community Asset Transfer Team in relation to the following Shropshire Council motion:
- This council resolves to facilitate community growing in Shropshire as follows;
- This Council will expand the group that considers Community Asset Transfer requests to receive Expressions Of Interest from town and parish councils on behalf of their residents and/or local community groups who have identified small parcels of land suitable for food cultivation.
- If identified land is deemed to be appropriate, and is supported by local people within the parish/town council area for the purpose of food production, a license to operate on the land covering insurance, risk, ground investigation surveys, tree impact assessment etc will be negotiated on a case by case basis with the town or parish council.
- Councillors would be able to seek out land in their division available for community food gardens.
- Promote the initiative via the council’s website.
To receive an update regarding the following events over the autumn/winter period:
(i) Remembrance Sunday – Sunday 13 November
(ii) Christmas Lights Switch On – Wednesday 23 November
(iii) Carols in the Square – Wednesday 14 December
17RECREATION GROUND MATTERS
(i) Poplar Island, County Ground – To consider a request from local Member to look at the feasibility of developing a disc golf course in the area.
(i) Copthorne Barracks Play and Open Space – offsite contributions to play (£30,498 – £20498 for Shorncliffe Drive & £10000 for Silks Meadow – to be paid on 75% occupancy) and open space (£115,000 for sports pitches & associated facilities at County Ground – paid on 50% occupancy)
(ii) Barratt Homes/Bovis Homes – Mytton Oak Road – Phase 1 adopted; Snagging Phase 2/3 commenced. No identified date for transfer
(iii) Shrewsbury South Urban
1. Sutton Grange site – ongoing – likely transfer in 2021/22
2. Bellway Homes site – discussion on land adoption and adoption of acoustic fencing
3. Galliers site – early discussions on land adoption
4. Community Centre – location on the site
(iv) Crowmoor House – s106 agreement for offsite play & open space contribution to be used for Upton Lane & Monkmoor Recreation Ground – two-staged payments on trigger on percentage occupied properties. Council to bankroll work at Upton Lane Rec;
(v) Harlescott Infants/Juniors site – Offsite contributions to sport. Initial discussions have taken place with Sports Development at Shropshire Council on how the contribution might be spent. Further work is needed.
(vi) Radbrook College site – Open space adoption – officers met with Floreat Homes on site – likely adoption later in the 2021/22
(vii) Weir Hill – Agreements to adopt the land at a future time have been signed